Portable valuables insurance

11 October 2017

Should you insure your portable valuables?

While we all know it’s not a good idea to carry too much cash in our wallets, have you ever stopped to think what the total value of all the items you lug around with you on a daily basis would be?

Wallets, phones, sunglasses, laptops or tablets, cameras, mp3 player… the list goes on. So what if that stuff was lost or damaged, or even stolen?

While most things will be covered by your home contents insurance when they’re in your house, they wont be covered once you leave unless you have chosen an optional extra on your policy that covers portable personal valuables.

Most contents policies will have this option, which will extend your cover to accidental loss, theft or damage of your personal valuables anywhere in the world. You can choose to insure specified items or unspecified items or even both.

The types of items that you may consider covering include:

  • Jewelry and watches
  • Sunglasses and prescription glasses
  • Musical instruments
  • Cameras and photographic equipment
  • Portable electrical items such as phones, laptops and tablet devices
  • Financial transaction cards
  • Personal money – cash, cheques, postal or money orders
  • Sporting and recreational equipment.

Learn more by talking to your insurer.

Source: (KnowRisk)


Like This